Prosecutors To Dismiss Charges Against Alec Baldwin In ‘Rust’ Accidental Shooting: Report
Prosecutors in the “Rust” fatal shooting case reportedly plan to file a notice to dismiss involuntary manslaughter charges against actor Alec Baldwin in connection with the accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins, the film’s cinematographer, who was struck and killed by a live round of ammunition fired from a prop gun being held by Baldwin while rehearsing a scene on the set of “Rust” in 2021, CNN reports.
Prosecutors already removed a firearm enhancement charge against Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed, reducing a potential prison sentence from 5 years to a maximum of 18 months.
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” Baldwin’s attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro told CNN.
Baldwin and “Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed were both charged with involuntary manslaughter in January. Director Joel Souza was also shot and injured during the incident.
An attorney for Gutierrez Reed has previously said she will plead not guilty and has maintained her innocence. A preliminary hearing in her case is set for May 3. Judge Mary Marlow Sommer and attorneys are expected to attend the hearing via Google Meet.
The news comes one month after the special prosecutor in the case, Andrea Reeb, stepped down, following a motion by Baldwin’s attorney to have Reeb disqualified as “unconstitutional” under New Mexico law due to her elected position in the New Mexico House of Representatives.
Read more on CNN.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login