Donald Trump just got smacked down by the highest court in the land — and he’s not taking it well.
In a 6–3 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court shut down Trump’s sweeping tariff scheme, ruling that he didn’t have the authority to impose the levies under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The law allows a president to regulate trade in “unusual and extraordinary” circumstances when a national emergency is declared. The Court made clear Trump didn’t meet that bar.
Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the opinion, joined not just by the Court’s three liberal justices, but also conservatives Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett. That’s right — this wasn’t some narrow ideological split. It was a bipartisan judicial rebuke.
“The president asserts the extraordinary power to unilaterally impose tariffs of unlimited amount, duration, and scope,” Roberts wrote. “In light of the breadth, history, and constitutional context of that asserted authority, he must identify clear congressional authorization to exercise it.”
Lower courts had already signaled trouble for Trump. Two of them — including the U.S. Court of International Trade — ruled that he overstepped when he declared a national emergency to justify the tariffs. The Supreme Court just slammed the door shut.
Trump’s response? A public meltdown.
During a White House press briefing Friday, the 79-year-old president lashed out at the six justices who ruled against him, calling them “fools and lapdogs” and a “disgrace to our nation.” He didn’t stop there.
“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court — absolutely ashamed — for not having the courage to do what’s right for the country,” Trump said.
He also made it personal, suggesting the justices are just “barely” invited to his upcoming State of the Union address.
“Honestly I couldn’t care less if they come,” he told reporters.
Yes, the president of the United States is publicly feuding with the Supreme Court because it told him he can’t unilaterally rewrite trade policy.
And if you thought the ruling might cool things down, think again. Trump announced he plans to sign an executive order imposing a 10 percent global tariff — effectively daring the courts to challenge him again.
Meanwhile, Democratic lawmakers praised the decision as a win for consumers and for the constitutional balance of power. The Court’s message was simple: Congress writes the laws. The president enforces them.
Trump heard something else entirely. And instead of recalibrating, he’s escalating — attacking the justices, questioning their courage, and doubling down on the very power grab the Court just rejected.
Watch the clip below:




