A grand jury in Oneida County has indicted 10 prison officers involved in the deadly beating of 43-year-old Robert Brooks while he was handcuffed in a New York prison.
Brooks died on December 10, just one day after the incident at Marcy Correctional Facility in Oneida County. The officers face several charges, including second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter, gang assault, and tampering with evidence.
The officers charged are Nicholas Anzalone, David Kingsley, Anthony Farina, Christopher Walrath, Matthew Galliger, Michael Mashaw, Michael Fisher, David Walters, and Nicholas Gentile. One additional officer’s name is kept private. Six of the officers, including Anzalone, Kingsley, Farina, Walrath, Galliger, and the unnamed officer, face murder charges.
The same six officers are also charged with first-degree manslaughter.
Brooks had been serving a 12-year sentence for first-degree assault since 2017. He was transferred from Mohawk Correctional Facility to Marcy Correctional Facility on December 9, and was taken to a medical examination room. It was there that video footage showed the violent attack, even though Brooks was handcuffed with his hands behind his back.
Governor Kathy Hochul announced the murder charges on Thursday, saying, “Robert Brooks should be alive today. The brutal attack on Mr. Brooks was sickening, and I immediately moved to terminate the employment of those involved. Now, the perpetrators have been rightfully charged with murder, and State Police are making arrests.”
On December 21, New York Attorney General Letitia James released bodycam footage and launched an investigation, calling the incident “shocking and disturbing.”
The footage shows officers punching, kicking, and choking Brooks as he lay handcuffed on an exam table. At one point, officers can be seen shoving a white material into Brooks’ mouth, punching him in the face, and choking him. Another officer lifts Brooks by the neck, while another hits him with a shoe.
“I do not take lightly the release of this video, especially in the middle of the holiday season,” said James. “But as Attorney General, I release these videos because I have a responsibility and duty to provide the family, loved ones, and all New Yorkers with transparency and accountability.” She also expressed condolences to Brooks’ family.
The release of the footage sparked public outrage, with protests across the state and renewed calls for justice reform.
In total, 17 prison employees, including four sergeants and two nurses, were allegedly involved in the attack. One officer resigned, while others were suspended.
Farina and Anzalone had previously been named in federal lawsuits accusing them of attacking inmates. In one case, an inmate was left disfigured, and in another, the victim was left in a wheelchair.
Last month, Brooks’ family filed a lawsuit against New York State for negligence and wrongful death, claiming the officers “systematically and casually beat him to death.”
“I want the name Robert L. Brooks to be known forever and not just for his last final moments,” said Brooks’ son at a news conference in January.