On Thursday, Peter Navarro, a former trade adviser to Donald Trump, was found guilty of contempt of Congress for his refusal to comply with a House select committee’s subpoena. The committee was investigating the events surrounding the Capitol riot on January 6.
Navarro expressed his outrage, telling reporters that he is “willing to go to prison” to resolve this matter, and characterizing the situation as “nuts.”
“We knew going in what the verdict was going to be,” Navarro said before expressing his intention to appeal based on claims of executive privilege. He will join Steve Bannon, another former Trump aide, in this legal effort. Notably, Bannon had also been convicted of contempt last year and faced two separate counts.
When questioned by reporters about whether Donald Trump was providing support or assisting with his legal expenses, Navarro acknowledged that the former president had been a dependable source of support. He also asserted that Trump would win the presidential race in November 2024, attributing this prediction to public frustration with President Joe Biden’s perceived misuse of the courts and the Department of Justice.
“President Trump has been a rock in terms of assistance. We talk when we need to talk. He will win the presidential race in 2024, in November. You know why? Because the people are tired of Joe Biden weaponizing courts like this and the Department of Justice,” he said.
Tim Mulvey, a former spokesperson for the Jan. 6 committee, viewed this second contempt of subpoena verdict as a victory for the committee’s efforts. He characterized Navarro’s defiance as blatant and suggested that those facing indictment were being reminded that they were not above the law, which he considered a positive development for upholding the rule of law.
Watch Navarro’s commentary below.
Protesters interrupt ex-Trump adviser Peter Navarro after guilty verdict pic.twitter.com/lyLojgwP4W
— The Hill (@thehill) September 7, 2023