FBI Just Blocked Minnesota Investigators From Access to Alex Pretti and Renee Good Evidence: Report

Staff Writer
A sign demanding justice for Alex Pretti hangs from handlebars before a memorial unity bike ride for Pretti in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo via CNN)

The FBI has formally refused to turn over any of its investigative materials or evidence to Minnesota authorities probing the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti, a Minneapolis man killed by federal immigration agents in January, state officials said Monday.

Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) confirmed in a statement that the FBI notified the agency last Friday it would not provide access to information or evidence related to the Jan. 24 shooting. The refusal is not limited to Pretti’s case; BCA officials said they have also sought materials for investigations into the deaths of Renee Good and the January 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, but so far the FBI has declined cooperation on all three fronts, CNN reports.

BCA Superintendent Drew Evans described the FBI’s stance as “concerning and unprecedented,” but said state investigators will press on. “While this lack of cooperation is concerning and unprecedented, the BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence,” Evans said. “We will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to relevant information and evidence.”

The decision to withhold evidence marks a stark break from standard practice in officer-involved shooting investigations, where federal and state authorities typically share information to ensure full transparency and thoroughness. Minnesota authorities had been pushing for a joint probe, and even sued federal agencies earlier, aiming to prevent destruction of evidence and allow state participation.

Pretti, a 37-year-old U.S. citizen and ICU nurse, was shot and killed by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers during “Operation Metro Surge” — a Trump administration immigration enforcement operation in Minneapolis. The incident drew immediate controversy. Some videos circulated after the shooting showed Pretti with a phone recording the scene as federal agents were engaged with others; officials say he was carrying a legal firearm, though differing accounts emerged about his actions just before he was fatally shot.

The FBI’s refusal to provide access to its evidence has increased pressure on the Trump administration from state leaders and lawmakers. Minnesota Governor Tim Walz emphasized the need for independent, impartial investigations into the deaths of U.S. citizens by federal agents, arguing that “Trump’s left hand cannot investigate his right hand.”

The federal civil rights investigation into Pretti’s death — initiated by the Department of Justice — remains separate from the state’s effort, though federal authorities have so far been reluctant to coordinate or share details with Minnesota investigators despite multiple legal pushes from state officials.

Officials from the BCA continue to encourage members of the public with information about the shootings of Pretti, Good, or Sosa-Celis to come forward to assist in their ongoing investigations.

Share This Article